Thursday, April 15, 2010

Greek Chicken Pasta

Thursday, April 15, 2010
So I haven't been cooking up a storm lately - Allen is working a lot and I had a nasty infection that left me with not enough energy to cook.  So it's been frozen pizza, canned chili and some yummy chicken quinoa soup from the freezer.  I'm finally getting back to normal. 

I thought this recipe sounded very interesting and similar to something I've had before.  I was right - it was delicious!  I did manage to kind of char the top under the broiler, but it was still tasty.  Greysen ate well and my visiting mother-in-law even went back for seconds!  I did use our heart-healthier options and cut up the chicken and artichoke smaller so that it was kid friendly.

Greek Chicken Pasta
2 c uncooked penne pasta (used whole grain)
1/4 c butter, cubed (used 3 Tbsp Earth Balance, 3 Tbsp flaxseed meal)
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 c all-purpose flour (used wheat flour)
1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 c cubed rotisserie chicken
1 jar (7.5 oz) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 c (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese
1/2 c chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 c sliced pitted Greek olives
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
Cook pasta according to package.  Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet (I didn't have one, so I used a skillet and transferred it to a corningware dish - probably could have done the stovetop cooking in that as well) - melt butter. Add onion; saute until tender.  Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in the chicken, artichoke hearts, cheese, tomatoes and olives.  Drain pasta; stir into the pan. broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.  Sprinkle with parsley. 
* Recipe from Taste of Home magazine Apr/May 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment